How was this built?
This website is built in Jekyll, Ed, and CETEIcean. The text on this site is written in Markdown while the music incipits are encoded in MEI XML and rendered in the browser with Verovio, a music notation engraving library.
Each incipit was transcribed by contributors using the open-source notation software, MuseScore. Following review, incipits were exported as MusicXML and then transformed into MEI XML using the MEI-Friend Editor tool. Although the incipits undergo review, we do not guarantee that they are completely free from mistakes. If you find errors, please create an issue on the Issues Page and we will make an effort to address or correct it.
How can you use the data and code?
The site is hosted with GitHub Pages. Ed is distributed under an MIT license and CETEIcean is distributed under a BSD 2-Clause “Simplified” License.
Music incipits and MEI XML files on this site are released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
You are free to
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
Under the following terms
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.